Biology Unit 10 Evolution Layered Assignments
Wabasso High School
1. Describe how evidence led Darwin to develop the theory of natural selection and common descent to explain evolution.
2. Explain how competition for finite resources and the changing environment promotes natural selection on offspring survival, depending on whether the offspring have characteristics that are advantageous or disadvantageous in the new environment.
3. Explain how mutations like deletions, insertions, rearrangements or substitutions of DNA segments in gametes may have no effect, may harm, or rarely may be beneficial, and can result in genetic variation within a species.
4. Explain why genetic variation within a population is essential for evolution to occur.
5. Use scientific evidence, including the fossil record, homologous structures, and genetic and/or biochemical similarities, to show evolutionary relationships among species.
6. Explain how genetic variation between two populations of a given species is due, in part, to different selective pressures acting independently on each population and how, over time, these differences can lead to the development of new species.
Day 1- Spontaneous Generation
____ *0a. Perform spontaneous generation lab (BK-5 pts).
*0b. Write two paragraphs summarizing Redi’s and Pasteur’s
experiments (VL-5 pts).
Day 2- Abiogenesis
____ 0c. Make a poster explaining the endosymbiotic theory (VS-5 pts).
0d. Model the endosymbiotic theory with clay (BK-5 pts).
Day 3- Evolution Webquest
*1-4a. Complete evolution webquest (VL-5 pts).
4- Layer B Natural Selection Lab
Day 5- Evolution by Natural Selection
____ 1-4a. Make a poster explaining natural selection (VS-5 pts).
____ 1-4b. Pick a local animal and write a half page story explaining what could happen if all the
in the area were genetically identical (VL, NA-5 pts).
Day 6- Adaptations
*1-4c. Complete practice exercise #1 and exercise in class (VL-5 pts).
Day 7- Other Evidence For Evolution
*5. Explain how each of the examples are used to determine
evolutionary relationships (VL-5 pts).
Day 8- Speciation
____ 6a. Make a poster showing how new species can form (VS-5 pts).
6b. Write a story about how one population could form into two
species (VL-5 pts).
Day 9- Patterns of Evolution
____ *6c. Make a poster describing adaptive radiation (VS-5 pts).
Day 10- Evolutionary Trees
*All. Complete practice exercises (LM-5 pts).
Day 11- Review/Work Day
____ All. Write a newspaper article explaining the theory of natural selection and speciation for an audience who knows nothing about the subject (VL-10 pts).
____ All. In groups of 3-4, create a skit about the process of evolution by natural selection (BK, IE-10 pts).
____ All. With a partner, write a song about the process of evolution by natural selection (MU, IE-10 pts).
All. Listen to lecture and take notes each day (VL)
Day 12- Unit 10 Quiz
*All. Complete Unit 10 Quiz- must get 7/10 in order to pass
the unit (VL-10 pts).
Day 13- Layer A work day/All assignments due
*1. Perform natural selection lab and write a
summary explaining what happened.
LAYER A- CRITICAL THINKING & ANALYSIS OF REAL WORLD ISSUES (15 points)
2 resources cited below, either write a 1 page paper or create a 6
slide powerpoint presentation exploring one of the questions
below. When answering questions the first paragraph should be
an introduction and relate the question to class, the second paragraph
should give information (pro and con), and the last paragraph should
include your conclusion and opinion on the question posed.
All writing should be in your own words!
____ 1. Why don’t scientists prescribe antibiotics (especially penicillin) as much as they used to?
____ 2. Will bacteria eventually become resistant to Germ-X?
____ 3. Select an adaptation of an animal. How would Darwin and Lamarck each explain how the trait evolved?
4. Create a power point presentation on Darwin's
Theory of Natural Selection. The product must include a
biography and an in depth explanation of Darwin’s
Source #1- Title:
Date of article:
Source #2- Title:
Date of article:
Total Grade: _____ / 100 Parent/Guardian Signature (XC): _____________________________