2 week unit worth 100 points
C Layer Choices (10 points each)
1. Bird Words: Make flashcards for the following words, memorize them & get quizzed. warm-blooded, contour feather, down feather, migration, inborn behavior, instinct, learned behavior, bill, webbed feet, talons, imprinting.
2. A Bat is Not A Bird: In Class activity
3. National Geographic Parrot People: We'll read the article together in class then answer the worksheet questions.
4. Data Collection Sheet: Complete in the computer lab.
5. Time for Kids: A Sticky Situation In Class activity.
6. On the Move: Map skills worksheet showing where birds migrate.
7. Bird Big Book: Write a simple non-fiction writing piece about a bird that you choose.
8. Textbook: Read pages 84-86 and Answer Questions 1-3 and Think!
9. Textbook: Read pages 110-114 and Answer Questions 1-3 and Think!
10. Venn Diagram: Create a Venn Diagram of two birds. You must include at least the following information in the Venn Diagram: length, weight, diet, habitat, predators, prey, adaptations and 2 interesting facts.
11. Guess My Bird: Find a bird and collect data to create a feathers riddle done together in class.
12. Bird Bills and Feet:
Worksheet about the adaptations of birds.
B Layer Choices (15 points each
1. Build a Bird House: Create a bird house of your choosing, filled with seed. There are various BIRD BILLS that are adaptations for different birds. Draw and identify four different bird bills and how they are useful to help the bird survive.
2. Howell Nature Center: Field Trip
3. Graphy Bird: Create a graph of at least 15 birds. Sort them according to an adaptation (for example: webbed feet, flying, beaks...) and create a graph that explains your data.
4. Ecosystem Poster: Design your own poster of an ecosystem of your choosing. You can draw any amount of plants and animals you choose but they all must fit the criteria of an appropriate ecosystem. For example: Put a penguin in with the seals and polar bears of the Arctic, not in the rainforest).
5, Fly Away Home Movie Review
Sheet. Watch the movie and answer questions.
A Layer Choices (20 points each)
1. What happened to the eggs? Answer all of the questions in the book about the picture on page 87. Use good reasoning skills and support your opinion with details.
2. Rachel Carson in the Food Chains and Webs Book page 12: Read about her choices and fears for the animal population. How did she think the problems were effecting the insect population and how does that connect to the bird population? Is it right for people to use insecticides?