C level activities (150 pts maximum)
1. Journal / portfolio check (neat; organized). (5 pts)
2. Lecture (pay attention; take organized notes). (5 pts)
1 2 3 4 5
Tell the difference between sudden and slow changes to the surface of the earth, and describe the relative impact of both.
3. Movie: Natural disasters. In your journal write 5 new things you learn from the movie. (10)
4. Movie: Volcano, Nature's Inferno. Take notes and give an oral summary (10)
5. Worksheet: The Ring of Fire (5), OR Surfing for Quakes and Volcanoes - Worksheets 1 and 2. (15)
6. Slow Change - what is the evidence? Read and write one summary sentence for each paragraph. (5)
7. Activity 6-2: Changes During One Year. Questions 1 to 4 (in journal). (10)
Define and describe mechanical, chemical and biological weathering.
8. Weathering - reading and crossword OR make 10 flashcards of the most important definitions in the reading.(10)
9. Activity 6-3: Ice Power. Questions 1 to 3 (in journal). (5)
10. Activity 6-4: Fizzing stones. Answer 'finding out' in journal. (15)
11. Make a poster collage showing examples of objects that have been affected by mechanical, chemical and biological weathering. (15)
Describe the different stages of a river and their impact on erosion; explain the role of friction in causing erosion; define and describe erosion by rivers, surf and wind.
12. Activity 6-5: Moving Rock Fragments. (Lab report format). (15)
13. Read 'A River Story' and answer the questions in your journal OR draw a picture showing the different stages in a raindrop's journey to the ocean. (10 pts)
14. Read about friction and erosion by rivers, surf and wind. Do the crossword OR write a 1 to 2 sentence summary for each section of the reading. (10)
15. Movie: Mountain. Answer study questions. (10)
Relate sedimentation to sediment size.
16. Activity 6-10: Settling Sediments. Questions 1 to 5 (in
17. Demonstration: Meandering Streams. Watch the demo and answer questions in journal. (10)
18. Meandering Index activity. (10)
19. Make a flip book that accurately shows a meandering stream bed turning into an oxbow lake. (20)
Explain the relationship between groundwater, the water table and surface water.
20. Water Underground. Reading and Crossword. (10)
Tell the difference between Continental and Valley glaciers.
21. Glaciers. Reading and crossword (10)
22. Glacier Movie and question sheet (10)
23. Unit Test (30)
B level activities (30 pts maximum)
1. Conduct an experiment to estimate the volume of rain that runs off the surface of the basketball court during a typical rainfall.
2. What effect does the steepness of a slope have on the rate of soil erosion?
3. A lot of people blame the recent floods in Jakarta on the villas in the Puncak. Design an experiment to test whether the runoff from these villas is more than the runoff from undeveloped land.
4. Does a slope with plants on it really absorb more water than a
A level activities (20 pts maximum)
1. Why is it important to find new sources of fresh water and to conserve the sources now available?
2. How is the weathering of rocks helpful to life on earth?
3. What are the causes of desertification in Africa and how is this affecting the people that live there?
4. Find out why glaciers around the world are getting smaller and smaller?
5. Why do you think Jakarta was so badly flooded during the last
120 - 140 = D
140 - 160 = C
160 - 180 = B
180 - 200 = A