|Unit of Instruction:||Fact VS Opinion|
Curriculum Lesson Plan
|Objective 1:||LA.A.2.3.8 Checks the validity and accuracy of information such as fact vs. opinion.|
|Objective 2:||LA.A.2.3.7 Synthesizes and separates inf. Into useful components such as note cards.|
|Objective 3:||LA.A.2.3.5 Locates, organizes, and interprets written information.|
|Curriculum Layers||Student Unit Learning Activities|
|C Layer: 65pts
Participate in daily classroom instruction.
2. Pick a sport. List 5 examples of facts and 5 opinions about the sport. After listing them on one sheet, put each one on an index card.
3. Examine a local newspaper; find 10 opinionated words and/or phrases. Copy the article title and the words or phrases used.
4. Go online to a new station website. Preview a streaming newscast. List 4 facts that you heard. List any opinions that you heard. Give at least 2 opinions of your own.
5. Pick a musician you like. Make some fact and opinion cards about the star. (5 each) Have a peer/s go through the cards and try to figure out which ones were facts and which were opinions. Have peer initial cards in the corner.
6. Get Fact Opinion (1) cards in envelope. Separate them into 2 piles: fact pile and opinion piles. List them on T chart. Make 2 new cards.
7. Look at a newspaper. Copy all bold article titles from the front page on a T Chart. Indicate whether the title is a fact or opinion.
8. Get Fact Opinion (2) cards in envelope. Write a fact/Opinion about each of the subjects. Record your answers and make 2 new subject cards to add to the envelope.
9. Watch a show on the history or biography channel. Complete a fact opinion Graphic Organizer.
______________ Name: _______________
|B Layer: 20pts
Application & Analysis
Go on the internet and explore articles on protests or
picketing. Look at pictures and duplicate 3 signs that you
find. Indicate on the back whether they are fact or
opinion. Take a poll of your classmates to see what they
think. Make a graph of your findings.
2. Analyze a review of a popular movie. This can be online on the web, or on the TV. Which of the reviewer’s statements are facts and which are opinions? Use Graphic Organizer.
3. “America is the Best Nation” is an opinion. Change wording to make at least 5 statements that indicate the same thing but is based on facts. Write the statement. Write the change. Write why the change is now a fact and indicate a source of the information that made it a fact.
|A Layer: 20pts
Synthesis & Evaluation
Read a non-fiction book about a natural disaster. Write an
essay or what would happen here (in your community or school) if this
disaster hit close. Include basic information about the
disaster and specifics of what could happen to you.
2. Make picket signs for a cause you feel strongly about. (At least 3)
Write a summary about your signs (who you would protest to, where did you get your information, why is it important. Share orally with class.