Seventh Grade Science
Forces and Motion – Part 1
– Forces and Inertia Unit
Pioneer Jr-Sr High
Days to complete unit 5-7 days Due Date/Test Day: November 11
Indiana State Grade 7 Science Standards and Benchmarks addressed by this unit:
7.3.17 - Investigate that an
unbalanced force, acting on an object, changes it speed or path of
motion or both, and know that if the force always acts toward the same
center as the object moves, the objects path may curve into an orbit
around the center.
C Layer Assignments (65 points Maximum)
- Keep track of your points by circling the activity and writing your points received.
1. Which ball has more inertia? Activity – Be prepared to discuss answers (5 points) 1. _____
2. Forces Foldable (5 points) 2. _____
3. Inertia Foldable (5 points) 3. _____
4. Friction Foldable (5 points) 4. _____
5. First Law of Motion Activities – Be prepared to discuss activity and answers
A. First Law Magic (5 points) 5A _____
B. The Coin in a Cup (5 points) 5B _____
C. First Law Skateboard (5 points) 5C _____
D. Around and Around (5 points) 5D _____
6. Observing Friction p.354 (5 points) 6. _____
7. Lab Activity – Static and Sliding Friction (10 points) 7. _____
8. Homework - Read p. 333, 350-355. Answer all reading check questions (p. 353, p.354).
Answer p. 355 #1-5.Be prepared to discuss answers (5 points) 8. _____
9. Homework - Notebook worksheets p. 140-142
Complete and be prepared to discuss answers (10 points) 9. _____
10. Homework - Section 1 Reinforcement Worksheet –
Be prepared to discuss worksheet (5 points) 10. _____
11. Create a poster or display to teach others what you have learned during this unit.
(20 Points) - Be sure to look at the scoring guide before you begin. 11. _____
available if needed.
B Layer Assignments (Choose one – 15 points Maximum)
1. Create a Mobile that has at least 3 arms. Be creative and make sure each arm is balanced. Be prepared to discuss your mobile.
2. Create a Device to measure inertia of an object.
3. What kinds of
surfaces have the largest static and sliding friction? Conduct an
A Layer Assignments (Choose one – 20 points Maximum) – Use an A Layer Research Form
1. Make a timeline showing and describing the important events in the life of Galileo.
2. Choose a part of an automobile that is affected by friction. Identify the type of friction, whether the friction decreases or increases the efficiency of the car, and how the friction can be increased or decreased to improve the performance of the car.
3. How has
biomechanics been used to reduce job related injuries?
C Layer Points Earned
_________ B Layer Points Earned __________ A Layer
Points Earned __________
D 56-70 C 71-85 B 86+
A Total _______________
Keep track of your points by circling the activity and writing your points received.
Parent Signature: (5 points to
C – Layer) _______________________