Return to samples menu
Paula King, Massachusetts
Listen to Lecture and Take Notes:
Days: 1 2 3 4 5 5pts/day
You must choose items from each category listed below.
Inches, Feet, Yards, Miles
1. Read in the text about measurement. 5pts
2. Complete the word problems. 10pts
3. Measure the size of items in the room in inches, feet, and yards, and miles. 10pts
4. Make a chart of the different measurements, relating them to one another. 10pts
Ounces, Cups, Pints, Quarts, and Gallons
5. Research the relationships between ounces, cups, pints, quarts, and gallons. 10pts
6. Use a website to learn about liquid measurements. Take notes. 10 pts
7. Use dry measurements to understand the relationship between cups, pints, quarts and gallons. 10pts
8. Website: Measurement Activities.
9. Website: Test the Length of your Knowledge! Using the Best Unit 5pts
10. Converting Units 5pts
11. Word Problems 5pts
12. Activity: Calculate amount of juice needed for # number of people. 10pts
B Layer: Project Choose only one. 15 pts.
1. Use a recipe or blueprint to make something that uses different measurements. Convert the measurements into different units, to illustrate why the creator of the recipe didn't describe each measurement differently. Illustrate why one would be used over the other.
2. Research a case in which not converting caused a disaster.
3. Illustrate the difference between a 20-ounce cereal box and a 20-ounce juice bottle, for the class.
A Layer: Two-Paragraph Essay Choose only one. 20 pts.
1. Does measurement matter?
2. Does a fraction of an inch make much of a difference?
3. Does packaging a product of the same amount usually look the same?
* C Layer: Be prepared to orally defend and hand in work done on the previous day!
* B and A Layer items should look like finished pieces. Be proud of your work! These will be handed in when the unit is due.
* Use a highlighter to indicate which items you have chosen to do on each given day.
* In order to earn an "A" you should aim to complete approximately 20 points of work per day.
* A maximum of 65 points can be earned from the activities listed in the C Layer.
* All computer activities require you to use the program for a minimum of 30 minutes and to take notes while on the site.
* Get a teacher signature next to each highlighted item, to show that you received the points.
* At the end, hand in this sheet, along with all the work you accomplished during this unit.
86+ = A 71+ = B 56+ = C 40+ = D
Parent/guardian signature Due date for all work