GEOMETRY UNIT—POLYGONS - Tena Newby (Texas)
Grade level: 8th grade
TEKS/ Objectives: Students will use geometric properties
and relationships, as well as spatial reasoning, to model and analyze
situations and solve problems.
Students will communicate information about geometric figures or situations
by quantifying attributes, generalize procedures from measurement
experiences, and use the procedures to solve problems.
Total points possible: 100
Section 1: Layer C 65 points possible
1. Listen to the lecture and participate in class discussions.
(1pt/day) 12 3 4 5 5pts possible total
2. Flashcards of vocabulary words 5pts
3. Identify and describe similarities and differences
of triangles, and of quadrilaterals. 15pts
4. Complete the polygon worksheet 10pts
5. Make a polygon picture book label each picture 5pts
6. Make your own picture using only polygons, color and
frame it. 15pts
7. Complete worksheet on angles 10pts
8. Make a math journal of 5 different sizes of circles.
Find the circumference and diameter of circle 15pts
9. Work the follow problems, p.223 #’s 3, 6, 9, 12, 15,
18, 21, 24, 27, 30 10pts
10. Watch a YouTube video on polygons and write a one
page report 10pts
11. Watch video on angles and working with lines and write
a one page report 10pts
12. Look through magazines and find pictures of polygons,
angles, and circles, label them 10pts
13. Go around town and take pictures of polygons in our
14. Make up a song or poem to help others remember the
polygons and the number of sides.
Section 2: Layer B
Pick only one 15 points possible
1. Create a game using polygons, angles and circles.
2. Create a book with polygons as the characters. Make
sure it tells a story related to geometry.
3. Looking around your town what polygons do you see?
For what kinds of jobs do you think it would be important to know
the different types of polygons?
Section 3: Layer A
Pick only one 20 points possible
1. If you could build a building using only the knowledge
you have about polygons, angles and circles what would you build and
how would you build it. Explain why you would build it that way. You
may either type a one page paper or build a model and present to the
2. Find two famous structures (buildings) that use polygons
in their shape. Explain the polygons in the structure and how it helps
to stabilize the structure. Do you think a different shape could have
done the same job? You may type a one page paper or build a bridge
and present to the class
Grades: 90+ = A 80+ = B 70+ = C 60+ = D
Parent signature/date contact phone # (signature and phone worth 5
points in “C” level)