Reading Strategies Layered Curriculum
Layer C. You must complete 8. This section
can be done during reading.
* indicates something everyone must do.
- *Complete the daily word sort with word list given
by teacher. There will be a new sheet weekly and a weekly test.
Mon- Free Sort, Tues- Teacher Sort, Wed- Buddy
Sort, Thurs – ABC Sort
- *Speed drills, choose one page in your assigned
reading. With a partner read the page out loud for 1 minute as your
partner records the number of errors. Switch. This needs to be done
with the same pager everyday until both of you have no errors..
- Illustrate a scene from the book, using paint,
markers, colored pencils, pen and ink, charcoal, colored paper,
photographic collage, etc. (10pts)
- Find song lyrics from any artist that you feel
define one of the characters in the book. Copy the lyrics and in a
paragraph describe why you think these lyrics define that particular
- Create your own dictionary with words from the
story. Include pronunciation guide, definitions, and if given, origin
of the word. Hint: find out about online dictionaries.
- Act out a scene from the book. You may work with
one or more partners.
- Choose one character and write a limerick about
- Create puppets of 2 major and 2 minor characters.
- Act out a scene with your puppets.
Layer B- You must complete 2.
- Write a one to two page report on Jerry Spinelli.
Use the Internet or an encyclopedia to find out important facts about
- Rewrite the ending of the novel. Include dialogue
and description. Do you like your ending better or the book's original
- Write a one to two page description of the
favorite character from the book and tell why you find him or her.
- Write a one to two page narrative of something
that happened to you in fourth grade.
Layer A- You must complete 1
- Create a Big Book Alphabet Book-25 sentences A-Z
that "capture" the book and its characters, plot, lessons to be
learned, and illustrated. Try to use words from the book!
- Ponder what you think is the main theme or
overarching concept of the book. Write it down.
Then choose two of the following: (40 points)
- Write a 200 to 300-word essay about this
- Read another book that relates directly to
- Tell about the new book in a Thursday Share