Back to the Sample Menu
Descriptive Writing 5th Grade English
by Stephanie Cox and Ruby Naquin
Napoleonville Middle School
1. The learner will be able to develop compositions on self-selected topics or in response to prompts using descriptive writing.
2. The learner will be able to recognize and use various methods of support and elaboration
(facts, reasons, examples, sensory details) in compositions.
Level C - (Required) (60 points)
1. Journal topic: "Describe what you think the best vacation would
be like." (5 points) ____
2. Choose a picture from a newspaper/magazine, glue it
on a sheet of paper, and write 4 descriptive details about it. (10 pts.) ____
3. Journal topic: "Describe the best movie you have ever seen
without mentioning the title." (5 points) ____
4. After viewing transparency of "Using Sensory Images,"
complete "sensory words" chart. ( 10 pts.) ____
5. Bring an object to class in a brown paper bag. Describe the
object to the class, using sensory words, and let them guess
the object. ( 5 points) ____
6. Journal topic: "Use sensory details to describe the best meal
you have ever eaten." (5 points) ____
7. Play "Guess Who?" Think of a well-known person, such as
a historical figure, famous athlete, entertainer, etc. Write at
least 4-5 clues about the person. Either as whole class, or
group activity, let your classmates guess your famous person.
Decide which clue was most helpful, and mark it. ( 10 pts.) ____
8. After viewing "Build-a-Story" transparency, create your own
build-a-story. Write an introductory sentence identifying the
item you are describing. Then begin adding adjectives,
adverbs, and prepositional phrases until you have at least
3 sentences about your topic. (10 pts.) ____
Level B (Choose 1-Whichever you choose will be your topic for Level A.-40 pts.)
1. Choose one of the 2 attached topics, and complete the outline
using descriptive details (sensory details, adjectives, adverbs,
prepositional phrases.) (40 pts.) ____
2. Complete a Venn Diagram comparing 4th & 5th grade.
(must include at least 4 similarities and 4 differences) (40 pts.) ____
3. Write a "Name Poem," and complete outline. (40 pts.) ____
Level A - 40 pts.
Write a 2-3 paragraph descriptive composition using the information
from Level B. (must be edited for correct spelling, punctuation,
capitalization, and grammar). ____
|Descriptive Composition Requirements: 1. Write your name and date on the top line. 2. Write a title in the center of the next line. 3. Write on the topic selected from Level B. 4. Write at least 2 paragraphs. (If your topic was the "Name Poem," write the title of the name poem on the top of the paper, skip a line, and then write your descriptive paragraph of at least 5 sentences about your subject.) 5. Double space. 6. Write on one side of the paper only. 7. Edit for spelling, punctuation, capitalization, and grammar.|