Unit Length: 7 days Unit Value: 90 points
Grade Scale: C = 67 – 76 B = 77 – 83 A = 84 - 90
Note: 55 points maximum allowed in
Basic Level. Items in bold will appear on Unit Test. Items marked * do
not require oral assessment.
(12) _____ 1. Lecture 1 – “The Tools and Styles of Sculpture”. Answer 4 questions.
(12) _____ 2. Lecture 2 – “Important Works of Sculpture and their Creators”. Answer 4 questions.
(10) _____ 3. Demonstration - “The Art of Stone Carving”. Participate in activity or answer 3 questions.
(6) _____ 4. Lecture 3 – “How to View Sculpture”
(15) _____ 5. Make a poster on posterboard that highlights 1 important piece of sculpture from history. Provide quality pictures, important info about the artist, and some interesting information about the piece.
(20) _____ 6. Construct a list of at least 10 public display sculptures that can be seen in our local community. Include a brief description, location, and approximate size.
(25) _____ 7. Make a PowerPoint presentation that exhibits famous works from 15 different artists. Slides should include the artist, piece, and title. Study your product and be prepared to answer 5 questions.
(< 50)_____ 8. Complete any reading or combination of readings from the Sculpture Reading Sheet. Be prepared to answer 2 questions per section. Notes may be taken and used.
Note – up to 70 points may be earned by end of Basic/Intermediate Levels. Due by final day of unit.
(15) _____ 1. Choose any 1 sculpture from history or a piece found here in the high school and complete a formal analysis using the Sculpture Analysis sheet.
(20) _____ 2. Do a comparison/contrast of two sculptures drawn at random by the instructor. Prepare a presentation in which you compare and contrast them in terms of style, subject, materials/tools used, artist, time period, formal elements of composition, and location.
Note – Due by end of Marking Period
(30) _____ Create an original
piece of sculpture from materials of your own choosing. Finished work
must include a summary sheet that contains the following: Title,
artist, date completed, style, tools/techniques used, location/site
designed for, inspiration/motivation/subject used. Use the Handout
“Things to Do in Sculpture” if you need ideas.
(20) _____ Construct a well written essay of at least 5 paragraphs in length. Proper mechanics, grammar, and content are expected. Cite at least 2 sources in your writing as well. Your writing should answer 1 of the following:
“The most influential sculptor of all time is __________.”
“The sculpture that best conveys the emotion of ___________ is the sculpture entitled ___________ by ___________.”
“Classical sculpture (Greek/Roman) is better than modern sculpture because…..”
“The most demanding material with
which to make sculpture is _________ because…..”
Day 1: Lecture 1 and assessment
Day 2: Lecture 2 and assessment
Day 3: Stone Carving Demo and Assessment
Day 4: Lecture 3 and assessment
Day 5: Assessment
Day 6: Assessment
Day 7: Assessment