Back to the
Government (8th Grade)
St. Amant, La.
1. The learner will be able to analyze the purposes of government.
2. The learner will be able to examine or assess the importance of citizenship to the individual or to society at large (e.g., the importance of voting).
3. The learner will be able to explain the structure and functions of the three branches of the federal government..
4. The learner will be able to cite the roles/duties, qualifications, and terms of office for key elected and appointed officials.
5. The learner will be able to explain the structure and functions of state and local governments.
6.The learner will be able to explain the two-party system and examine the role of political parties, including third parties, in the election process
7. The learner will be able to evaluate the influences of media on public opinion in American politics.
8.The learner will be able to explain historical or contemporary roles of special interest groups and associations in U. S. politics (e.g., NAACP, ACLU, AARP. NRA)
1. Listen and participate in the lecture The purpose of government. (5pts. Daily-3 days)
Choose 1 from 2-4 (5 pts)
2. Make vocabulary flashcards with the following words: government, jury, citizen, political alliance, constitution, executive branch, veto, impeachment, legislative branch, census, caucus, constituent, lobbying, judicial branch, civil laws.
3. Make a crossword puzzle using the above vocabulary words
4. Write two paragraphs using the above vocabulary words to describe the government.
Choose 5 or 6
5. Answer the questions at the end of chapter 4. Understanding the Facts 1-12
6. Worksheets—5—(2pts each)
Choose 7 or 8 (5pts)
7. Write a thirty second speech explaining, why the right to vote is or is not important. Go over your speech with at least 1 classmate to make corrections. Be prepared to defend your opinion in a class debate.
8. Create a commercial that encourages other to go out and vote. (video, written, poster)
Everyone does number 9****
9. Create a poster that displays and explains the 3 branches of government.
Choose 2 from 10-13 (10 pts)
10. Create a poster or power point presentation that identifies your local government officials. Include their roles and responsibilities.
11. Create a power point presentation or poster that describes the governor of Louisiana and his cabinet. Explain their roles and responsibilities.
12. Create a power point presentation or poster that describes the president of the United States and his Cabinet. Explain their roles and responsibilities.
13. Interview 5 people in your community and find out what they consider to be the most important issues of the present campaigns. Compile your results and write a one page essay that discusses your results.
Choose two from 14-17 (10 pts each)
14. Find and summarize 6 news articles, two on local government, two on state government and two on federal. government (10)
15. Create a game based on facts about government (10)
16. Research : How does media influence American Politics? (10)
17. Name and describe major and minor political parties in America. What roles do they play in the election process? (10)
****Everyone takes a form of the written test—Points are separate from unit requirement.
18. Written Test (100 pts)
B Level-- Choose 2-----(15 points each)
1. Write a report about an election that occurred between 1900-1950 and an election from 2000-2003. Explain in your own opinion how they differ and how they are alike.
2. Research the history of government in your parish. Include the following in your report: What is the present parish seat? Were any other towns the parish seat? How many different buildings have served as the courthouse? When was the present courthouse built?
3. Analyze the following groups and the role they play in U.S. Politics.
AARP, NAACP, ACLU, NRA
4. Part of a legislator's job is to listen to his or her constituents. Identify an issue that is of concern to the people in your district. Write a letter to your state senator or representative expressing your opinion. Letter must be typed.
A Level Choose 1---- 20 pts each
1. Would an 18 yr. Old make a good President for the United States?
2. What Governor made the greatest contribution to Louisiana?