Science Food Chain and Effects
on Ecosystem: LC Guided Practice Unit
Student name: _______________________ Due Date_____________________
TSWBAT explain the flow of energy in a food chain by creating an energy
pyramid with 5 different consumer levels.
TSW trace the flow of energy from the sun as it is
transferred along the food chain through the producers to the consumers.
TEKS: 3.Science.9.B Idenftify & describe the flow of energy in a
food chain and predict how changes in a food chain affect the ecosystem
such as removal of frogs from a pond or bees from a field.
Section I: C Layer 65 points
- Listen to the lecture and take notes each day. (5pts/day) 1 2
3 4 5
- Vocabulary Flashcards 10
- Work 2 worksheets 10 pts
- Read 2 library books: 10 pts
- One on food chains,
- How the food chain affects the ecosystem.
- Create an Energy Pyramid: (You choose 10pts/My
Draw a pyramid of energy showing the 5 organisms in the correct order.
Label the percentage of energy each organism gets through the
- Create a Mini-book: 15 pts
Explaining how changes in a food chain affect the ecosystem, such
as removing frogs from a pond or bees from a field.
- Watch the food chain video and write a summary. 10
- Food Chain Diorama: 10 pts
Student will work with a partner to research and create a diorama
of what would happen to the ecosystem if spiders where removed an ecosystem.
- Create a food chain with 5 organisms (1 organism must include humans) 10pts
Section II: B Layer Choose Only 1 15 pts
- Video: In a group of 3, create a music video, news report, or skit
describing how the removals of bees will impact our individual and/or
- With a partner use Go-Animate (www.goanimate.com)
to create a short skit explaining the Flow of energy. You must include
food chain, producers, primary and secondary consumers, decomposers
and the 10 percent rule of energy.
- Find an online article on how a change in the food chain has
ecosystem. (ex: extinction of an animal) Give an oral presentation
Section III: A Layer Choose Only 1 300 Word Minimum 20 pts
- Write a letter convincing the City Council not to remove frogs from
the pond city park.
- Find an extinct animal and describe how their extinction affected
60-69= D 70-79=C 80-89=B 90+ = A
_________________________ _________________________ ______________________
Parent Signature/Date Student
Signature/Date Contact phone#