Return to samples menu
Comparative Economic Systems - Grades 9-12
Neil Murphy, FDR Middle School, Cleveland Ohio
Unit Objectives: This is what I expect you to know by the end of this unit on economic systems: 1. The fundamental principles of a free market system.
2. Explain the nature of socialist political and economic thought
3. Describe the history and end of Soviet communism
This unit begins on _____ and ends with an examination on _____.
C LEVEL-MAXIMUM OF 65 POINTS-ALL POINTS ARE AWARDED BY ORAL DEFENSE-YOU MUST ATTEMPT AT LEAST ONE 10 POINT ASSIGNMENT IN EACH SECTION. GOOD LUCK!
Attend lecture/take notes-5 points per lecture- 1 2 3
Topics are 1-Capitalism 2-Socialism 3-Communism
CAPITALISM (PGS. 607-616)
____Learn 9 vocabulary terms for this section-5 pts.
____Read section/answer review questions-10 pts.
____Design a poster showing the elements of capitalism-10 pts.
____Listen to section on tape/develop 5 multiple-choice questions/answers-10 pts.
____Working with no more than 2 others-design a capitalism board game-10 pts.
____Complete capitalism worksheets-5 pts.
SOCIALISM (PGS 618-627)
____Learn the 11 vocabulary terms-5 pts.
____Listen to section on tape/answer checkmark questions-10 pts.
____Create a mosaic of the key elements of socialism-10 pts.
____Make a political ad promoting socialism-10 pts.
____Prepare a debate with one other student on the pros/cons of socialism-10 pts.
____Develop 3 "not" multiple-choice questions-5 pts.
COMMUNISM (PGS. 629-635)
____Learn vocabulary terms-5 pts.
____Illustrated Outline of section-10 pts.
____Illustrated timeline on the development of communinsm-10 pts.
____Create a booklet on communism-10 pts.
____Complete communism worksheets-5 pts.
____Make a Karl Marx sensory figure-5 pts.
B LEVEL-MAXIMUM OF 15 PTS-CHOOSE ONE QUESTION BELOW-YOU CHOOSE HOW TO ANSWER THE QUESTION-THIS MUST BE TURNED INTO THE TEACHER BY ______.
1. What would Karl Marx and Adam Smith say to each other at a dinner party?
2. If you were homeless which economic ideology would be most beneficial to you? Which would be least beneficial to you?
A LEVEL-MAXIMUM OF 20 POINTS-CHOOSE ONE TOPIC BELOW-YOU MUST CITE AND USE TWO OUTSIDE SOURCES-ANSWERS MUST BE IN ESSAY FORMAT AND MUST BE TURNED INTO THE TEACHER BY ______.
1. Would capitalism be able to address the issue of world hunger?
2. Which economic system would be most beneficial to the health and welfare of its citizens? Why?
3. Did Karl Marx have a positive or negative effect on the world? Justify your opinion!
GRADE SCALE: 90-100=A 80-89=B 70-79=C 60-69=D 60-LOWER=F
REMEMBER THE TEACHER WILL NOT SIGN OFF ON MORE THAN TWO ASSIGNMENTS PER DAY, SO YOU MUST WORK AT A STEADY PACE. DO YOUR BEST WORK AND LEARN--DON'T JUST DO!