Science Name : ______________________________
Energy Unit – Chapter 13
Pioneer Jr-Sr High
Unit Test: December 15 Unit Portfolio Due: December 16
Unit Study Guidelines
State Benchmarks Addressed by this unit.
|7.1.8||Explain that technologies often have drawbacks as well as benefits. Consider a technology, such as the use of pesticides, which help some organisms but may hurt others, either deliberately or inadvertently.|
|7.1.10||Identify ways that technology has strongly influenced the course of history and continues to do so.|
|7.2.6||Read analog and digital meters on instruments used to make direct measurements of length, volume, weight, elapsed time, rates, or temperatures, and choose appropriate units.|
|7.2.7||Incorporate circle charts, bar and line graphs, diagrams, scatter plots*, and symbols into writing, such as lab or research reports, to serve as evidence for claims and/or conclusions.|
|7.3.14||Explain that energy in the form of heat is almost always one of the products of an energy transformation, such as in the examples of exploding stars, biological growth, the operation of machines, and the motion of people.|
|7.3.15||Describe how electrical energy can be produced from a variety of energy sources and can be transformed into almost any other form of energy, such as light or heat.|
|7.3.16||Recognize and explain that different ways of obtaining, transforming, and distributing energy have different environmental consequences.|
C Layer Activities and Assignments (65 Points Maximum)
HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENTS – You Must complete one assignment from A and B.
A1. Read Section 1 and Answer #1-5 on Textbook p. 384 (5 points) A1. _____
A2. Section 1 Reinforcement – What is energy? – Worksheet (5 points) A2. _____
A3. Section 1 Notebook – What is energy? – Worksheet p. 152-154 (10 points) A3. _____
B1. Read Section 2 and Answer #1-5 on Textbook p. 391 (5 points) B1. _____
B2. Section 2 Reinforcement – Energy Transformation – Worksheet (5 points) B2. _____
B3. Section 2 Notebook – Energy Transformation – Worksheet p. 152-154 (10 points) B3. _____
C. Chapter 13 Review pp. 406-407 #10-19, 20, 21, 22 (10 points) C. _____
1. Launch Lab – Analyze a Marble Launch Textbook p. 379 (10 points) 1. _____
2. Foldable Textbook p. 379 (5 points) 2. _____
3. What is Energy? Notes (5 points) 3. _____
4. Forms of Energy Concept Map (5 points) 4. _____
5. Rubber Band Inquiry Lab (15 points) 5. _____
6. Energy Transformation Notes (5 points) 6. _____
7. Sources of Energy Notes (5 points) 7. _____
8. Make a poster that illustrates the energy transformations when oil or coal is
used to generate electricity. (20 points) Follow Scoring Guide. 8. _____
9. Vocabulary Flash Cards for Chapter 13 terms (10 points) Follow Scoring Guide 9. _____
Assignments/Activities are available if needed.
B-Layer Assignments (Choose One – 15 points) – Use an Experiment Recording Chart
1. How does the height a ball is dropped affect the height the ball bounces?
2. Does type of ball affect the height the ball bounces?
3. Does the Gravitational Potential Energy of a straw rocket depend on the Elastic Potential energy of a rubber band launcher?
4. Choose another question. Get approval for your investigation.
A-Layer Assignments (Chose One – 20 points) – Use an A layer Research form.
1. Is the use of ___ good or bad? – Choose one of the following: coal, gasoline, natural gas, heating oil, nuclear power, hydroelectric power, solar power, geothermal power, tidal power, wind power, biomass energy, hydrogen fuel cells.
2. Choose another
question. Get approval before starting research.
C Layer Points Earned _________B Layer Points Earned __________ A Layer Points Earned __________
D 56-70 C 71-85 B 86+
Parent Signature: (5 points to
C – Layer) _______________________