Back to sample menu
DYNASTIES IN CHINA
Frontier Regional, Massachusetts
5 days: listen to lecture and take notes. 5pts/day
Days: 1 2 3 4 5
Day 1: Dynasty Overview
*1. Read Chapter Five, Section Three: Strong Rulers Unite Warring Kingdoms. 5pts
2. Complete the Guided Reading and Review #3, and then take the Section 3 Quiz, on the following day. 5pts
3. Answer: Reach into your background, Questions to Explore and then define the Key Terms and Key People.
4. Time-line of China, compared to the Western World. 5pts
Day 2: Shang Dynasty
1. Read Play: The Shang Dynasty: The Birth of Civilization. 5pts
2. Decipher Reading with Chinese Characters, using key; re-writing it on a separate sheet of paper. 5pts
3. Read about the Oracle Bones and then draw a detailed example of one. 10pts
4. Research: Shang Tombs and Bronze Objects; complete Shang Dynasty 1500-1030BC and Ancient Chinese
Burial sheets. 10pts
5. Research: Ancient Chinese Feudal System and then complete the chart. 10pts
Day 3: Qin (Chin) Dynasty
1. Website & Reading: Learn about the Great Wall, taking notes and being able to answer questions about it. 5pts
2. Learn about canals, waterways and roads. Demonstrate what you studied on a map of this time period. 5pts
3. Tomb of Shi Huangdi: Learn about the terra cotta warriors. Create a diagram of the site. 10pts
4. Research: Qin Shi Huangdi and complete a chart about him. 10pts
Day 4: Han Dynasty
*1. Read Chapter Five, Section Four: Achievements of Ancient China. 5pts
2. Complete the Guided Reading and Review #4, and then take the Section 4 Quiz, on the following day. 5pts
3. Inventions: Learn about the achievements of the Chinese people. Create a matching game of 10 items. 10pts
4. Website and reading: Travel the Silk Road and then show the route and some items traded along it, using a blank
5. Read with others from Outrageous Women of Ancient China, Chapter 14: Pan Chao of China. 5pts
6. Presentation: Learn about Ancient Chinese Healthcare. 5pts
Day 5: Project Choose only one. 15 pts.
1. Research the first woman to rule China: Lu Hou (also called Gao Hou), wife of Liu Bang. Present.
2. Research Papermaking, create a recipe card, and present the process to the class.
3. Research Calligraphy, how to write numbers and simple characters. Create a sheet (copying enough to use), to
guide the class in a writing activity.
4. Learn and then present how to use an Abacus. Create simple mathematical problems for students to use with this
Day 6: Two-Paragraph Essay Choose only one. 20 pts.
1. Choosing a dynasty about which to write, describe which traits made it strong and which made it weak and
eventually fall. Compare or contrast it to our society.
2. Compare the invention of paper to the invention of the Internet. Address how each impacts the spread of ideas
and knowledge throughout the world in positive or adversely, negative ways.
3. The Chinese built the Great Wall to keep the northern nomads off their lands. What means are used today to
protect territorial boundaries, here and abroad?
* Days 1 - 4: Be prepared to orally defend and hand in work done on the previous day!
* Day 5 & Day 6 items should look like finished pieces. Be proud of your work! These will be handed in when the unit is due.
* Use a highlighter to indicate which items you have chosen to do on each given day.
* In order to earn an "A" you should aim to complete approximately 20 points of work per day.
* A maximum of 80 points can be earned from the activities listed on Days 1 - 4.
* You must attempt to earn 80 points from activities listed on Days 1 - 4 before moving on to a Day 5 or Day 6 activity.
* All computer activities require you to use the program for a minimum of 30 minutes and to take notes while on the site.
* Get a teacher signature next to each highlighted item, to show that you received the points.
* At the end, hand in this sheet, along with all the work you accomplished during this unit.
96+ = A 81+ = B 66+ = C 50+ = D
Parent/guardian signature Due date for all work