8th GRADE SCIENCE UNIT - THE PLANETS
Pat Daniels & Kim Salamone,
Name______________________ Period_____________________ Due
A: 86-100 B: 71-85 C: 60-70 D: 50-59
(2 verbal defenses/day ONLY)
Section 1 "C" Level
Maximum 65 points, 60 to move to Section 2
1. Bellwork (20 for unit 1) 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
2. Listen to lecture, write facts (5pts/day) 1 2 3
3. Watch video on planets & write 15 facts OR draw 4 pictures
OR WL chart 4 parts in each (10pts)
4. Read entire chapter p.64-87 & answer questions p. 69
#1-3, p.79 #1-3, p. 82 #1-3. P.87 #1-3 (10pts)
5. Learn the vocabulary :terms to learn" & choose 10 from
chapter 2, make flashcards/crossword, etc. (10pts)
6. Use the "The Planets of out Solar System" sheet to complete
"How many Moons?" and "Can you Planet?" 15pts)
7. Complete the worksheet "The planets of our Solar System"
8.Draw a simple drawing of how the moon formed with labels
and then include the phases of the moon using p. 77 for help.
to use some color (10pts)
9. Complete :Lunar and Solar Eclipses" sheet (5pts)
10.Draw a poster of a lunar and solar eclipse. Use color and
include labels (10pts)
11.Make a chart of information of each of the planets moons.
Include 2 facts about each of their moons (10pts)
12. Watch the Small Bodies, Big Impact video & write a
KEWL chart with 4 in each section OR write a 2 paragraph summary
OR draw 3 drawing OR 12-15 facts (10pts)
13. Draw a picture of an asteroid, comet and meteoroid with
labels to show the difference (5pts)
14. Design a bulletin board with facts about the planets. Use
15. Create a travel poster to advertise going to a specific
planet. Information to include: distance from Earth, climate,
and interesting facts about the planet
____________Total point for section 1-C level
Section 2 "B" level
Choose one. Each is worth 15 points. You may work with a partner.
1. Design a space colony. Draw a rough sketch and include water,
electricity, air and food. Use the rubric to receive maximum
2. Design a tool to be used in space. Consider no gravity and
how to use it
3. Plan a trip to another planet. What would you bring, how
long would you be gone, where would you go and why. Use drawings
written descriptions and check with the rubric.
Section 3 "A" level
Choose one. Each is worth 15 points.
1. Read "Is Pluto really a Planet" p.94 and write 2-3 paragraph
opinion on the topic. Be sure to support your opinion with facts
as to why or why not.
2. Write a 2-3 paragraph opinion paper on traveling to other
planets. Do you think we should do this? Think about cost, time
3. Interview 2-3 adults regarding the subject of using satellites
as devices for spying. Why or why not. Record their opinion
and reasons and
be prepared to turn that in with your 2-3 paragraph opinion
paper. Or you may explain your results and your opinion to me
Write 3 paragraphs on the topic of space junk. Use the Internet
and/or library to research this topic. Look for answers to what
should we do
about it; how can we deal with it; what will eventually happen
if we ignore this subject and how much junk is there really?
_____________Total points for Section 3 "A" level _____________Total
points for the unit
Parent/Guardian signature (5pts)